View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I wonder if TheViper couldn't stand the fire in the kitchen because the aforementioned thread has disappeared.

I do not think I was too harsh on the lad. Mark, Jr., is eligible to take the Class 2 to 1 Exam this year for the first time and he isn't taking it because between his regular college classes at Ohio Northern and his AFROTC classes at Bowling Green S.U. he has better things to do with his free time (like study for college, ). And besides, no official is ready to do a varsity game after only two years of officiating.

MTD, Sr.
Mark,
The Viper has made a mistake (whoever actually made that post). You pointed that mistake out to him. I do not blame him for pulling his post -- especially including his phone number and e-mail address which was not a good idea. I do not blame you for pointing out that this request was inappropriate.

Of course, it is POSSIBLE that someone else posted his personal information. But, let's assume that it was his post. I can't speak to the "rust belt" part of Ohio anymore, but his post is interesting from my viewpoint.

In the Central District, a new official could easily get "help" from any of a number of experienced officials within the new official's association or from his former instructor. Perhaps the only individuals who would not know this would be new officials who are exempt from the local meeting requirement their first year. Since they do not have to attend meetings their first year, they may not have joined a local association, yet.

I can only guess that this individual does not have senior official that is mentoring him. This individual likely just took the class, got assigned some games and looked to upgrade thinking that was the next logical step.

In Central Ohio, some of our newer officials will upgrade to Class 1. While this means that they are ELIGIBLE to do varsity contests, typically, these officials will not be assigned varsity games for at least a couple more years.

I do not have any problem with your decision to point out the error in this individual's ways. At the same time, I think that it is also appropriate to point out that in order to get this individual moving in the right direction.

At times, I have a hard time remembering what I did when I was 18 - 20 years old, I do know that I made some mistakes. I hope that this individual is able to get in touch with a senior official/mentor in his area in order to get "help" in becoming a better Class 2 official and then a Class 1 official in the proper manner. While it is not proper to get the exams ahead of time, there are certainly programs in place that can legally help him prepare for the advancement test.