View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
lol, maybe youre right! I gotta think about 1BL thingy for BU.

Obviously though, the line is best for viewing that play (just like 3BL position is great when the runner and catcher are lining up for the battle). It may not be the best position for BU. Thats why we do have PU!
Even if you do, s/he is going to be behind the runner, see the glove swipe at the runner, but may still not have any depth perception as to whether the glove actually made contact with the runner.
Quote:

I may not be visualizing correctly what you guys mean if you guys arent bringing a BU in towards the infield to a 90. I dont believe that is correct . Also, I didnt bring the BU all the way back to the line, I stated a step or two to get a better view of the tag.
Oversimplification. Didn't say anything about getting to a 90 or even "inside". Just stated I head in that direction to get a view of the gap between player attempting to make the tag and the runner.

Quote:
What you seem to be advocating is the "inside in theory". I dunno Mike. I try and keep myself from getting injured. Going in on a goofy play presumably from the left side or infield is not my idea of a good time.
There is absolutely nothing I have posted to suggest such a thing. Too many people reading what isn't there. Steve has it right, the play dictates the umpire's action. My point is that ASA's mechanic does not take the play into consideration.