View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
That may all depend upon to whom you are speaking.

I have received reports over the past couple of years of differences among members of the staff. I've had umpires get dinged for things from the BU watching a BR hit 1B instead of watching a ball in the outfield to not mirroring all of the PU's dead ball calls. I, also, understand some students confronted the staff last year at the advanced SP camp because they were getting conflicting instruction.
Well, that's certainly true, and I think the disparity between NUS staff is only going to grow wider as time goes on. Until someone puts his foot down and says, "enough of this, fix it," it's only going to get worse.

My statement wasn't meant to imply that an umpire should "find the 90" and stay there. Find the 90, and continue to let the play take you to where you can get the best angle. Silly guy...

I suppose in this sitch, it depends on where the errant throw pulls F3. If it pulls F3 towards 2B, I might go for the line. If it pulls F3 towards the outfield down the foul line, I might go for the 1B to 2B baseline.

Would it p1$$ off a UIC if I do the latter? Maybe, but two things would happen:

1 - I'd probably get the call right by SEEING the play instead of guessing.
2 - I'd have the NUS to fall back on. Would that stand? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on who's ripping me a new one.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.