Thread: Let's hear it
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 04:37pm
Administrator

Four (4) technical fouls:

TF #1: Head Coach of a girls' H.S. varsity team during a scrimmage game (4th scrimmage of the season; 1 men's college, 4 girls' H.S., and 3 boys' H.S.). I also issued the appropriate reminder that a second TF would require disqualification from the game. See Footnote #1.

TF #2: My third game of the season (1 men's college and 1 girls' H.S. before this game) is a boys' Jr. H.S. doubleheader (7th grade followed by 8th grade). Early in the first quarter of the 7th grade game, I am T, TS, and turn to go to L and have the V-HC standing past the S/TT, almost in front of the Home Bench. I walk him back to his coaching box as I go to my L position and remind him to stay in the Coaching Box. H1 intecepts a pass in the Mid-court (you young whippersnappers will have to go back over thirty years to learn about the MC Area) area and is racing down the court toward Team H's basket. V-HC beats me across the division line (MTD, Jr. will tell you that is not difficult to do, ) as I go from L to T. WHACK!! And he says to me: "How can you call that in a 7th grade game?" And this coach is a H.S. baseball umpire in MichiganHSAA and is a former girls' H.S. varsity coach.

TF #3: My third game of the season (1 men's college and 1 girls' H.S. before this game) is a boys' Jr. H.S. doubleheader (7th grade followed by 8th grade). Early in the second quarter, V6 goes completely out-of-bounds to guard H1 who is attempting a throw-in after a Team V field goal. There is ten feet of space behind each endline on this court and the H1 was about six feet away from the endline and V6 was close enough to him to be considered closely guarding him under NCAA Women's and FIBA rules. Appropriate official warning was issued. Early in the third quarter, H1 has ball out-of-bounds for a sideline throw-in when V6 (the same one that caused the warning in the second quarter) goes complete out-of-bounds to guard H1. WHACK!

TF #4: My third game of the season (1 men's college and 1 girls' H.S. before this game) is a boys' Jr. H.S. doubleheader (7th grade followed by 8th grade). Early in the fourth quarter V6 (yes the same player from TF #3) misses a layup and then fouls H2 in attempt to get the rebound. V6 didn't think he commited a foul and slammed the ball to the floor to show is displeasure with my foul call. WHACK!

Footnote #1: Why was the reminder necessary you ask since it was only a scrimmage game? Scrimmage games can be conducted pretty much anyway the coaches want to conduct them. That mean's it can be running clock periods; no free throw except for shooting fouls; no periods at all, just situaional scrimmaging; etc. But the OhioHSAA does regulate how many scrimmages a team can participate in a season and how long a scrimmage can last. And because soccer can be such an out-of-control sport, flagrant conduct, now matter what the sport or level of competition, is to be penalized. In other words, flagrant conduct is flagrant conduct. And had this HC received a second TF during the scrimmage, not only would he have had to sit out the first two varsity games of the season (as well as not be on the bench for any jr. varsity, and freshmen games until the first two varsity game of the season had been played) he would have had to play the ejection fine that coaches must pay (only checks drawn on the coaches personal checking accoung, money orders, or certified bank checks are exceptable; a check drawn on a school accout will automatically be rejected) as well as complete the mandatory online sportsmanship course (we officials call it the anger management course).

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Jan 09, 2009 at 04:38pm. Reason: Editing reasons.