View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:24pm
Esteemed Participant

What Not to Do/Say!

Last night - watching my son's HS play. Girl's Varsity followed by Boy's Varsity. Same crew of three did both games. It was about 2 hours up the freeway, so I didn't know any of the officials involved. Interesting things that happened...

Shot free throws twice in the second quarter on illegal screen calls. Ball is inbounds and being dribbled, screener never stops moving, good calls. Then they line them up both times to shoot. Yikes...

Coach stands up (they have a coaching box here) and asks (not yelling or anything) why they are shooting free throws. Official tells him "Because we're in the bonus coach." Coach says "But it was a team control foul." Official - "You need to sit down and be quiet, coach." Yikes again...

4th quarter - ball being dribbled, player sets screen, defender knocks screener to floor. Foul called on defender is the 8th team foul...no free throws! Coach stands up and says "Hey! Why aren't we shooting?" Same official responds - "Coach, that was a screening foul and we don't shoot on those. We messed that up in the first half, but we're getting it right this time. And I already warned you to sit down and be quiet." Yikes, yikes, yikes!!

At this point, I went out and spent the last 4 minutes sitting in the cafeteria!