View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFTW View Post
go to any forum, and i guarantee they have slightly off topic threads such as this one.
It's an officiating forum. About officiating. While discussions about plays or rules may digress into discussions about the BCS or whatever, we don't start topics to ask random, non sequitur questions like yours. Especially one which is flawed from the get-go.

Quote:
i'm not 15, i'm 24, but a 15 year old would know that no forum on the web has 100% of it's threads directly on topic, or even probably 90%.
But you know that 99% of the time, "employees" of the NFL aren't allowed to say "NFL," but instead say "National Football League." You're a math whiz, that's what you are.

Quote:
officiating -> football -> various football topics. that's on topic to me.
The Official Forum > Football. Where do you see "various football topics?"

It's an officiating forum. Mostly for officials to discuss topics about football officiating

Quote:
and your direct insults show that you should be the one asking yourself if you're 15.
Been on the interwebs long?

Quote:
exactly. nobody cares but me, but all of a sudden people seem to know for a fact that they use the term "nfl" as in "he's the #1 rusher in the nfl".
Had an inkling, based on years of watching football and some professional experience with the medium of television. Then I watched a few games and paid attention specifically to that to confirm my suspicion that you were wrong.

Quote:
if you don't care about something, how would you know for sure something as specific as this has or hasn't occurred? honestly though, i would probably say of course they say "nfl", i mean they must, right? but it's shocking, they don't. i don't mean never ever, i mean 99% of the time they say "national football league". and somebody already stated above the reason why they do this is for marketing purposes, which makes sense.
Except there is no directive that they do this. It's probably no more than the random patterns of people's speech. Is it 50% of the time? 62.5%? I don't know. But I do know that, outside of maybe the commissioner who may feel it gives things more gravitas or some people who may want to get melodramatic from time to time, there's no conspiracy or directive about why it should happen or does happen. You're imagining something that isn't happening.

Quote:
now that i think about it, although i'm not 100% sure, i don't think i've ever heard them say "national basketball association" in the nba.
Again with the "evers."

I guess the NBA just doesn't have the same marketing directives to its minions.

Quote:
so we have opposite leagues here. dunno, just something i notice. if you feel the need to boost your self-esteem by insulting me just for commenting on something like this, then go ahead, but you might want to look in the mirror before you call me 15. even if i was off-topic, which i'm not completely off-topic, that's no reason to insult somebody, especially if you're a 30+ year old official.
Again, just get online this week?

A forum for officials to talk about officiating. Not for fans to throw random savant things out there. You want to ask about rules (like the 3rd QB rule), anyone who knows will be glad to lend their expertise. Unclear about why something was ruled a certain way in a game you watched? Again, that's that it's about.

But "nfl employees" aren't precluded from saying "nfl," you're imagining things that aren't happening. And if you're going to come in here and be so randomly and completely off-base and off-topic, expect to get nailed for it.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.