View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 04, 2009, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

We've all been a newbie

Welcome MatthewPV to the world of officiating and this forum..

Others have already offered some great advice, I will reinforce what they have said and add some new ones.

Eye contact with your partner
ALWAYS establish eye contact with your partner(s) before putting the ball in play. This is the most powerful bit of info I can offer.

Slow down
Commonly, new officials race through the decision-making process and mechanics and it leads to mistakes.

Select one area of weakness to improve each game
You will quickly learn things that need improvement. Eye contact with partner, watching your primary area (especially when it is "off-ball"), etc....

Don't stew over mistakes
With each experience on the floor you will gain more insight about the game and yourself. I call it developing a filter.

Don't assess the quality of your officiating based on the feedback of fans or coaches.
Very few of these individuals actually know the rules. Which leads to my next tidbit.

Know the rules.
Ongoing rules study is essential. Participating in this forum will expedite your rules knowledge.

Keep a Journal.
Just do it... You'll understand its value soon.

Have Fun!
When you are working game you always want to come across that you are having fun.

Good Luck with your newly found addiction... uh, er, I mean career as an official.

Last edited by williebfree; Sun Jan 04, 2009 at 01:42pm.