View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 12:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
just another ref:

Ignats is correct on this. While no wants to see a HC out on the court in this fashion, the officals screwed the pooch, as our umpiring brethern would say, in this situation. If a coach is continually requesting a TO during a ThI and neither officials ignore his legitimate requests for a TO, then they have to suck the TF back into their whistles and man-up to their poor game and court awareness.

MTD, Sr.
I guess, to me, if the coach had been doing everything within the rules before he walked out onto the court, I'd have more compassion. Frankly, from the L's perspective, he's just walking and talking in a loud gym. He might very well be offering instructions to his players.

In the OP (as specified later), he was not using the widely accepted hand signal. Not only could the officials not hear him due to the gym, they couldn't see him due to the fact he wasn't giving a signal. I'm sorry, but this is a very key point.

Coaches aren't idiots, and a varsity coach should know that in a loud gym he's going to have to aid his timeout request with the signal.