View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 11:08am
Esteemed Forum Member

Catholic School Rules ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
CYO has rules regarding pressing and when pressure defenses can be used. I always keep my copy of the CYO rules at the table, knowing some officials probably have no idea what the rules are and would appreciate having something to refer to.
Same here, for Catholic School league:

Younger Junior Varsity (4th and 5th grade):
Players who cannot reach the basket from the free throw line will be permitted to move up as determined by the officials.
No backcourt pressure.
The defense must drop back to inside the three-point arc.
When a team is ahead by ten points their defense shall drop back inside the three-second lane, and cannot reach through to play defense. They can come outside the arc to recover a loose ball.
Offensive teams must attempt to advance the ball. One warning, thereafter a five second count resulting in turnover.

Older Junior Varsity (5th and 6th grade):
No back court pressure for the first seven weeks of the season, unless game within 10 points in 4th quarter.
Beginning week 8, when a team is ahead by ten points, their defense must drop back to the three-point arc.
With a 15-point lead, must play zone and no fast breaks.
Offensive teams must attempt to advance the ball. One warning, thereafter a five second count resulting in turnover.

There are no forfeits in the JV league. If a team has less than 5 players, ‘borrow’ players from another team.

Varsity (7th and 8th grade):
No press or fast breaks in second half with 20-point lead. “No pressing” is defined as any attempt to inhibit the offensive team from moving the ball from their backcourt to their frontcourt. If the offensive team is attempting to fast break, the defense may attempt to prohibit the fast break by picking up players at half court. Otherwise the defense will drop back into a zone, generally inside the three-point arc.
Teams ahead will not fast break. “Fast break” is defined as pushing the ball up the court past the defense, prior to the defensive team’s ability to set up their defense. If the defensive team is attempting to press, the offensive team may use whatever tactics are available to break the press.

Happy New Year.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)