View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

The boys youth league I have worked with for a number of years uses this for 3rd/4th grade. I don't officiate the 3rd/4th but had input on the written rule.

If you want hard and fast how our refs are to call it...we use the 6' closely guarded rule...if a player is in the FC, the defense must be within 6' of their man. Now they also do not allow any screens above the top of the 3point line extended, double team only in the lane.

Finally, they also have implemented an isolation rule that keeps one or two players from controlling the game and taking all the shots.

They have set up "infractions" if you will...two infractions of zone, double teaming, back court defense lead to a T on the 3rd violation. Each one is noted as it's own violation on the league score sheets. So, 1 Backcourt + 2 isos does not equal a T. Each infraction is counted on it's own happening.

Now, In the travel league I coach in (3rd Grade Girls), must play man to man D and can only double team below FT line in a helping manner.

As Mark P said, it's hard to officiate it because where i come from, any D can be played. But we use the same group of guys each year and they are very consistent in the manner with which they call it.

Philosophically, I understand why you make young kids guard man to man....nobody can shoot outside and they would just pack in a zone and never allow any penetration....That's not right either...Save the zone for later. Besides, playing man to man will make you a MAN!