View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
Last summer, college wood bat league--

Pickoff at second, R2 slides into F4's foot which was in front of the bag (not blocking the entire bag, probably about 1/4 of the bag). F4 tags runner, I call runner out. O head coach want OBS, I say no, the runner had a clear path to the bag, back and forth we go. As he walks away, he says to me, "I am going to tell them to come in spikes high next time."

I did not reply. I did not eject him there, but it did go in the memory bank. If someone had come in maliciously later in the game, I would have ejected the player, then the HC.

All we can do is call the things we see.
I had a similar situation a couple of years ago I was the BU in a FED game between two rival HS's We were watching everything that day because we were warned by our assigner that there may be problems. HC for school "A" stated that he was going to have his people come in "with their nails up". I simply said, "You do what you feel you have to, John, but mark my words, if I eject one of your players for having their nails up, you are going with them, understood?". Happily, no one from school "A" ever came close to having their spikes in the air.

If a coach makes a threat to do something against the rules, you have to tell him right then and there that he is going to suffer the same fate as his player. You must also make sure that if you have to make that ejection, you follow it up with a report stating that you warned the coach after he made the statement.