View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
NevadaRef has quoted a NFHS Casebook Play that deals specifically with certain electronic equipment whose use is specifically prohibited by rule. As much as much as we would like to apply this Casebook Play to the situation in the OP we cannot because it does not apply.

One could rely on the NCAA's position that if a Head Coach's inappropriate language can be heard outside of the huddle during a timeout, the game officials should penalize the Head Coach. But, I seriously doubt that the NCAA's position could be applied to the same situation in the OP if the game was played using NCAA Rules.

I have no doubt that the Head Coach knew that the game officials could hear his diatribe and that his diatribe was deliberately directed toward the game officials because of that fact. BUT, more experienced game officials were correct in not giving the Head Coach at TF under these circumstances. BESIDES, once the second half started, I am sure that, without baiting the HC, the officiating crew would have a zero tolerance,, for either coach stepping out of the coaching box.

MTD, Sr.
Mark this OP was brought over to the baseball side as well.

So here's my question

Forget about the comments made about officials.

Suppose you heard the following:

Hey Jimmy (who is the last person on the sub list) Tommy (on the other team) is "kiliing us" I want you to "take him out"

I believe this sort of "stuff" happened at the University of Minnesota many moons ago. Can't remember the coach but it was a pretty gruesome story.

In Conclusion: You as officials hear this coach tell one of his HS players to do harm to another player on another team.

What do you do

Me: Assuming I heard a baseball coach tell one of his players to take out another player. Coach is done and report filed.

Pete Booth