View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 09:27pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I had a situation in a game the other day that I would like some feedback of opinions on how we handled it.

A1 rebounded a missed shot and B1 slaps at the ball and hits A1 on the arm, the whistle blows and then A1 not liking the hit on the arm retaliates with a forearm/shoulder to B1. I'm 30 feet away from it all and it all happens in front of my partner, so as he is coming to the table he tells me what he has. He initially has a foul on B1 and then an "intentional" foul on A1.

I now realize that my first mistake was allowing my partner to call it an "intentional foul" and not a technical foul because it would have made it easier

So this is what we did....We gave both A1 and B1 fouls, then put B1 on the line to shot 2 free throws for the intentional foul and then went POI and gave the ball back to A because they had the ball when it all started.

Any thoughts?
What you have is a false double foul. Personal foul on B1 and technical foul on A1. Issue the penalties according the rule book: A1 gets the bonus if applicable, lane cleared. If A1 is DQ'd as a result of the T, A1's substitute shoots the bonus FTs. Any B player shoots 2 for the T, lane cleared.

For some reason, you didn't stick with the T and instead went with the INT. I think that was a mistake. But if you had a brain fart, so be it. The only difference between the two is the throw-in spot and the fact that a T was not recorded for DQ purposes.

But I think you made a second mistake by going to the POI when the penalty clearly states otherwise. B should have ended with possession - so you took a possession away from B.

I think the biggest hiccup is, though, that during the game, you knew better, and didn't say anything.