View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 10:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

For Coaches, And Fanboys, Without Casebooks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It's a correctable error for the reason that you gave. 2.10.1 Sit C says that you are still within the proper time frame for correction.
2.10.1 SITUATION C: A1 is fouled with one second remaining in the second quarter. Team A is awarded a throw-in and A1 passes the ball inbounds to A2, the horn sounds ending the quarter. As officials enter the court from the half-time intermission, the scorer informs the Referee that A1 should have been awarded one-and-one bonus situation. RULING: The error is discovered within the correctable error time frame, and shall be corrected. A1 is awarded a one-and-one bonus situation with the lane cleared. Resume play from the point of interruption, which is an alternating-possession throw-in to start the third quarter. (2-10-1a; 2-10-6; 5-6-2 Exception 3)

The time frame is certainly within correctable error guidelines. This situation deals with the only correctable error that doesn't involve free throws, or no free throws. I've always wondered exactly what "erroneously counting or canceling a score" meant. Casebook plays describe examples involving basketball interference, and three/two point shots. I believe that we can all agree that this is within the time frame to be correctable, so let's view this situation without the distraction of halftime, or any other time frame issue. Shot "at" buzzer ending first period. Trail official counts it. While players are heading to bench, officials meet at center circle to discuss the last second shot, and decide, as a group, that the buzzer came before the release. Basket is waved off. That's how I would view this situation. My only question, is this a true correctable error, or is this officials getting together to to make a decision, i.e. correction, advice, or help, on an out of bounds call?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 28, 2008 at 10:55am.