View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I was looking at 6-4-4. It says the arrow is reversed when the throw-in ends as specified in 4-42-5.

4-42-5c. But that's contradicted by 6-4-5. Hmmmm.

I must say that you NOW have a decent point. I was going by what I knew from the past, however, I've just gone and checked the 2007-08 rules book and compared it to the 2008-09 version and found that 6-4-5 was altered as well as the announced editorial change to 4-42-5. The words "throw-in violation" in 4-42-5 are brand new.

It appears that someone at the NFHS is enjoying messing with the rules language and not telling anyone. There is no shading or highlighting of any kind for either 6-4-5 or 4-42-5, nor a listing in the rules or editorial changes listing in the front for 6-4-5, only 4-42-5 is shown as an editorial change.

I would seriously doubt that this editorial change was intended to change the existing rule. Afterall, it was only an editorial change, but the NFHS has changed rules in this manner before. We all recall the LGP decision about having one foot OOB from 4-23.

I think that we need to get MTD to start an email campaign about this. These unannounced changes are unacceptable and make proper enforcement difficult for officials.

For example, handling this situation by what is written in the 2008-09 rules book seems to be different from the 2007-08 version. When push comes to shove, I would have to go with the specified "throw-in violation" language and not change the arrow. That seems strange and to run counter to the intent of the rule. So did the NFHS really desire a rule change here? Officiating minds want to know!

My personal opinion is that all violations during the throw-in by the throwing team should count, since all violations during the throw-in by the non-throwing team count and are penalized by a new throw-in and retention of the arrow, if applicable.