Thread: talking coaches
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 08:21pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
When I talk about embarrassing the coach, I'm talking about throwing gas on the fire.
The stop sign may work some times, but others it's going to explode in your face.
Snaqwells, I agree with you.

What I don't understand is why an official would use something knowing it may work or it may make things worse. If you (in general terms) know the stop sign would make a situation better, wouldn't talking to the coach without it work too? If you think it will make things worse or don't know, why do it?

I would like to think I can communicate well enough - without a stop sign - to diffuse any situation that would be calmed by a stop sign. If I can't, it will either be obvious why a coach got a T or it will be so bad (saying something softly way across the line) that I don't care.

I'm thinking our goal is to do some preventative officiating. That being the case, using something that could potentially make the situation worse just doesn't seem wise to me.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!