Thread: talking coaches
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 02:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have done this and it worked. I think we worry too much about showing people up. If you are trying to stop behavior and you can do so by stopping the game (player or coach), do so. It has worked for me. It might not work for everyone. You have to know who you are dealing with and how you can talk to them.

Peace
Depends on the coach.

I was working a Christmas tourney in Illinois last season and I was going center to center for a few trips and every time I'd park in front of the one coach, he'd start whining about every non-call whenever players came close together. Finally, I simply said to him: "You know, you whining every time down the floor isn't going to get you anywhere."

I immediately regretted saying it. It wasn't a professional thing to say and I made my mind up that I was going to apologize on the next dead ball. On the timeout, the coach actually approached me and before I could say anything he told me I was completely right and he was sorry. You could've knocked me over with a feather. And I did say it was no problem, but I could've chosen a better set of words to get that across. And we had no words the rest of the game. And he coached better, too.

Other coaches won't shut up till they're whacked and if it's that way, that's OK, too. I'll oblige.

This is what makes working sports difficult. There is no cookie cutter approach to game management.