Thread: talking coaches
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Embarrassing the Coach?

I understand the thought here but the terminology drives me nuts!

The idea is to defuse the situation before it gets out of control, and without forcing the coach or yourself into a corner with one of those infamous phrases " one more, or if it happens again ..."

Suggestions; approach the coach personally and not yelling at them from across the floor, quietly ask for his cooperation in complying with the rules first,
"Coach, help me out here, by rule you can not keep yelling about calls and trying to influence calls from the bench, if you persist we are going to have to deal with it, and that is going to result in a technical, and neither one of us wants that happen."

If he leaves you no choice then back up give a Stop sign (about hand check signal high) "Okay coach that is enough, consider this your warning" . Still in low tone.

Then let your partners know and move on, and deal with it if the coach persists with that behavior.

Issueing a warning, or talking to the coach and telling them that you have had enough of their behavior is great and would stop a normal person from continuing with their abhorent actions.
But sometimes it continues, and just like a little kid if you do not deal with if firmly and fairly, then it will persist in being a problem.

But I am really NOT worried about Embarrassing a Coach - S/He is thuroghly capable of doing that with out my help. What I am worried about is the coach causing problems for my game.