View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 12:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I didn't even catch the make up call part. I assumed that by "get something going the other way," he meant get the ball in play quickly.

Unreal.
When I was working my second season of varsity basketball back in the early 90s, I was working 2-person with a crusty vet who was buds with the assignor.

We were in a dark gym and I had a long 3 where I really had to stay with the shooter. Ball bounced up, brushed a strap (I didn't see it) and I signaled a 3.

I had an idea I kicked something, but wasn't quite sure what. Next time down the floor, the ball went out of bounds on the team with the ball and I signaled and my partner immediately came in and overruled me even though the ball clearly wasn't tipped. I mean, so clearly, I was confused at this and looked at him and said, "No, it clearly went off blue." He blew his whistle and told me to do what he told me. I shrugged and put the ball in play -- I was still new to varsity ball.

In the locker room he dressed me down and told me of the virtues of the makeup call. I told him to please let me know when he wanted me to cheat for the other team and I'd be glad to ignore him. He scratched me as a partner and I was thrilled.