Thread: Broken Nose
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
Broken Nose

Small school varsity girls (AAAaaawful basketball!!!!!) I have a situation where I am lead. A1,a big girl, with ball is VERY closely guarded by smallish (well shortish) B1, above the free throw line extended. about 4 feet from my sideline. A1 pivots, with elbows out, and strikes the girl guarding her in the face. In both my partner's and my opinion the player with the ball was not throwing elbows and the elbow was not malicious. My partner later said he did not think it was severe enough to warrant a foul but I have a hard time passing on that so I came out with player control. (Yes, it was his primary)

I reported the foul and started to resume play when the coach goes ballistic and screams "aren't you going to call an official's time out. I said "no" and the coach yells "not even for a broken nose?" B1 had left the court and was laying behind the bench where we could not see her. There was a sheriff, an EMT and another adult all tending to her. My partner went over, assessed the situation and asked the coach for a sub. Coach was furious but put in a sub and we resumed play.

Typically, we do a girls varsity followed by a boys varsity. During half time of the boys game the girls coach stops us as we are leaving the court and tells us that an elbow is an automatic technical and he can show us in the rule book. He told us he was going to write us up. We did not challenge his rule prowess but did tell him he was welcome to write the state office. I don't expect to here any more about it.