View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 10:18am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
The other night I was officiating a boys varsity game, late in the game with about a minute left I had a foul on the visiting team (at this point the it was a 6 point game) The foul was on a successful layup, it was a no doubter. As I went to the table to report the foul I look over and the visiting coach is barking instructions to his players from the court, and when I say court I mean he is standing 8-10 feet on the court. Earlier in the game he was a foot out of the box talking to his players and we mentioned it to him that he needed to stay in his box. When I saw him that far on the court my instincts took over and I gave him a T. After the fact the only other thing I thought maybe I could have done was given him a timeout, but should I? What would you guys have done.
Game: Ontario Provincial Bronze Medal game back in 2003 I think it was.

I'm there watching with some buddies and late in the game, the covering official passes on calling this T when a coach is 8-10 feet out onto the court. He claimed that he didn't see the coach. Of course, had that been true, the official would have had to be blind. Everyone had their own opinion on the play: opposing team's fans were yelling for a T. Same team fans were yelling at the opposing team's fans to s.u. Other coach was not happy, iirc. Officials in the stands were stunned.

Years later, the official admitted that he didn't want to affect the game (4th quarter in the bronze medal game). He took quite a bit of ribbing for his decision, and ultimately, it has been pretty much agreed that you gotta call this T. One foot onto the court is ok. But 10 feet? Being nice most of the game doesn't earn a coach a free pass late in the game.

Good call. I've seen what happens when the call wasn't made.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Tue Dec 23, 2008 at 10:22am.