View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 09:20pm
#thereferee99

Had something similar... and partner had a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Last Friday I had a game between two well coached good girls teams. 2 team has won the state tournament 2 out of the past 3 years, the other has gone deep into the play offs the past few years. Both teams figure to again go deep into the play offs.

1 minute into the game, I am trail, ball stolen up top I run down and get a good angle. Defense gets to her spot, and stops, arms straight up. offensive girl does a nice jump stop, jumps to the side of the defender, brushing her right side...defender steps back maybe 5 inches.

*TWEET*....i think to myself......oh crap...

it's not a charge, and it isn't a block.....I was lost. Seemed like it took forever, but for some reason I call a block. Coach wasn't happy. I walk up to him and tell him, Coach, i blew it. There was no foul, I am sorry.

He says, Okay, and doesn't say another word about it the rest of the night.
I'm at a school where I've never officiated before. They have 18" solid color around the court indicating out-of-bounds. The problem is there is a visual explosion of intersecting and parallel lines near the endlines. They have court lines from the perpendicular court and some other stuff as well. I was having a hard time getting comfortable with it.

Anyways, about 3 minutes in I'm lead, Blue team passes ball to a player just below free throw extended on my side. I slide out (he's near sideline) and then he drives right. I have a great look at both players, peripherally I clearly see him step on the line, blow the whistle, and I knew right away I had made a mistake.

I went with IW, ball to Team Blue on the endline. Coach of the JV team was in the stands, says the same thing had happened in the previous game (small consolation). Later at a break, my partner says his approach is go with out-of-bounds (even though the 'wrong' line is 18" on to the court) and then quickly get something going the other way (make up call). I nod, and say that I get it. His reasoning is that by admitting your mistake there you have given both teams ammunition to question every call from then on.

I say, fess up, get it as right as you can and proceed from there.