View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
Ray, I was asked in Richfield (by one of your board members) if you picked this up from me. I told them IDK, but that you had seen me work before. The person telling me this also said that they liked it when I did it, but not when you did it. I told them to quit sucking up and tell me they didn't like my mechanics either. They just smiled.

I'm not really sure where I picked this up, but I always struggled with how I reported double numbers until I started flipping my hand and have continued doing it since then. I have never had a problem with scorekeepers either and I have moved up nicely using it...the "mechanic" has not hampered my schedule in any way.
My use of this mechanic has come up in conversation with board members more than once this year. The most recent time was just last Friday with two of them before a game. And your name came up as part of the convo. Our friend who runs the camp in Logan also does it, and his name comes up often in those conversations too. I honestly don't recall where I got it. But when asked I always say, "Of course they got it from me."

Despite the occasional negative reaction from other officials, there is a very compelling reason for doing it. One of the board members that used to bust my chops about it has begun using two-handed mechanics when reporting repeating digit numbers. And for the same reasons.

Now that I'm in such good and growing company, I'll start telling people that I'm not a rebel, just an early adopter.