View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBBRef View Post
There was a play in the case book or Referee magazine or someplace with this situation and the explanation was that regardless of how the names and numbers got in the official scorebook the coach still has to make sure all is correct.
Can you find the situation and transcribe it here? I think that'd be a very interesting one for all to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBBRef View Post
Where does it say it is not the coach's responsibility to mae sure the scorer records them properly.
More importantly, where does it say it is the coach's responsibility? All I can find is the following:

NFHS Rule 3-2-1:
At least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled start time, each team shall supply the official scorer with the name and number of each team member and designate the five starting players. Failure to comply results in a technical foul.

I, too, was always under the assumption that it was the head coach's responsibility to make sure the players are correct in the book, but now I'm not so sure. It looks like they've fulfilled their responsibility once they tell the scorer who is on the roster tonight, and who is starting. The rule book says nothing about verification.