Thread: New one for me
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rpirtle Send a message via Yahoo to rpirtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texref View Post
This was a varsity boys game! Team A (team ahead by about 50) put their third stringers in the game (they had 15 in the book!). They weren't roaming, they were running a play and Team B was playing defense. I don't disagree with you by giving Team B the points and Team A the ball. That is what my partner said on the floor. After the game we ran it by the other officials replacing us and the other two crews (tournament setting) that were there. They all said they would have given Team B the points and Team A the ball.
OK...now a word from the "thus-far-silent" partner in this debacle. But I wanted to first say how great all of your comments are and how much I enjoy having a place like this and people like you to help me hash this stuff out. I really appreciate all the input.

OK...as Texref stated above, this was a tournament setting...and the game was a "snoozer". All the more reason for us to stay alert and ready to act. But there were other factors that might have contributed to the way this played out. This was the 2nd day of a two-day tourney...and this game was fairly early on a Sat. morning. In addition, both teams had probably played two games the previous day. So to say that these boys were tired would be a gross understatement. And finally...the play in question unfolded very quickly. I remember the throw in to Team A's BC. But the way I remember it...Player A1 received the throw in...and all he took was a few dribbles before he pulled up. Before Texref or I could intervene the shot was away.

I guess my take on the situation is this...we knew that Team A was lining up at the wrong basket. It was not our intent to permit Team A to shoot at the wrong basket. I guess it's possible that my reaction time was slower as well...maybe I could have immediately blown the play dead when it was 1st apparent the "Hail Mary" pass was not forthcoming.

If this is the case...and my cat-like reflexes were impaired...then I'm certain it's Texref's fault. You see...Texref and I had worked a triple OT game the night before...even tho I had fully disclosed my "No OT" policy to him before the game. Guys and gals...you've got to learn to trust your partners. When they say "No overtime"...they mean NO OVERTIME...!!! But seriously, Kip...anytime, anywhere, any level...it was great working with you. And thanks again to this Forum...you guys and gals have helped me so much over the years. Keep up the great work...