View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 01:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj View Post
Had this one tonight. A1 is at the free throw line and is holding (no shooting motion had started) the ball for the first of two free throws. All of a sudden the horn blows and B6 sprints onto the floor. I didn't beckon him so we have a no-brainer technical. I blow my whistle, take care of the book, we clear the lane to shoot the first two and then the two for the technical. No problems but it's been bugging me that maybe A1 should have got to go ahead and shoot the first free throw. And then if he missed to re-shoot the first one again. All I can find is that the technical, and of course my whistle, both would make the ball dead. But what about A1 getting the 'free' free throw. Violations do this but I couldn't find anywhere where a technical like this would give him the right to shoot it. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
B6 did not commit a violation, the retry is strictly done on free throw violations. Blow it dead and let everyone settle in again.

Think of it this way, if instead of B6 running on, B4 had fouled A2 along the lane, you would have blown it dead. Same deal with a T.