View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Counting in your head is not one of the official counts referred to 5-10-2 and therefore does NOT constitute definite knowledge. The counts needs to be visible and with all of the video that is being captured of games these days, you had darn well better be able to have the tape back you up if you make a timing correction.
I have 2 issues with this.

First, 5-10-2 stipulates "an official's count OR other official information." What else is other official information? I can't think of anything else (except for the few states, including mine, that use a shot clock -- and supposing that the 2 aren't wired to start and stop simultaneously).

Second, I didn't think of this the first time I heard you say this, but how do you explain this: With 10 seconds left, A throws in into the front court. The official begins visibly counting (per your recommendation) in case of a timing error. The official judges a defender to not be closely guarding, but its debatable. When the count gets to five, how do you explain to B HC that there isn't a violation? The purpose of the visible count is to provide information, and typically, it's for situations such as these.