View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 03:30pm
This IS My Social Life

"Fanatic" Analysis

Seems to me that fanatic (cf. derivation of "fan") parents' negative intensity and tone is inversely proportionate to their experience with the game. Parents can be found of four basic kinds:
1) Have never played (thus are playing vicariously through their kids)
2) Played when younger, but probably weren't very good (and expect their kids to be better than they were)
3) Have coached before
4) Have officiated before
5) Have coached before and now officiate, or vice versa
The ones I've come to most appreciate are the 4's and 5's. (I'm a 5, as are many of you). The ones who are a headache and embarassment to the sport as a shole are usually the 1's and 2's.
I, like the previous poster, when watching a game in the gym of my alma mater high school, try to broaden the perspectives of and thus heighten the level of understanding of fanatics who are constantly berating the officials. As a result, many choose to avoid me. I guess that's okay with me. But there's been a good number who've been won over to a greater measure of maturity by a reasonable mention of the actual rules and situations they previously misunderstood.
When observing a game before or after the one I've been assigned, I find it increasingly uncomfortable even witnessing the depths of ignorance of the rules of many fans nowadays. I wanted to watch a whole game after mine just last night, but left after the first quarter for that very reason. I just couldn't stand it anymore. Reasoning with a fanatic isn't something I'd choose to do before or after officiating a game.
I do notice that the athletic directors in our area are doing a better job sowing the seeds of sportsmanship in various ways. Maybe it's a little better than it has been in the past.
I think what we need are more fans of the game, and fewer fanatics of their favorite teams.
What do you think?

Last edited by Freddy; Fri Dec 19, 2008 at 03:33pm. Reason: speeling mistaks