Thread: Jump Ball foul?
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
summdawg76:

Breakdown the play:

1) Prior to the held ball the ball is live and in play.

2) A held ball occurs between A1 and B1.

3) The held ball causes the ball to become dead.

4) During the dead ball period after the held ball and before the AP Throw-in starts B1 contacts A1 in an unsportsmanlike manner. A contact foul during a dead ball period is a technical foul (there are a some exceptions but your situation is not one of them). Therefore B1's foul is a TF.

5a) NFHS Rules: Team A will be awarded two free throws as part of the penalty for B1's technical foul and then is awarded a throw-in at the division opposite the Scorer's Table. The AP Arrow is not reversed, because Team A's throw-in is part of the TF penalty and not an AP Throw-in.

5b) NCAA Men's: If the officials judge B1's actions to be intentional or flagrant TF and I would consider B1's actions to be at least an intentional TF. Then after the free throws for B1's TF Team A will receive a throw-in a part of the TF penalty a the division line. If B1s' actions are not considered intentional or flagrant then play is resumed at the Point-of-Interuption (POI) which is an AP Throw-in.

5c) NCAA Women's: If B1's actions are judged by the officials to be flagrant then Team A will receive the ball for a throw-in nearest the spot of B1's TF for a throw-in after the TF free throws; this throw-in is part of the TF penalty. If B1's actions are not judged to be flagrant then play is resumed at the POI which is an AP Throw-in.

MTD, Sr.
With no technical foul, right?
I can't see how B1 could be charged with anything other than an intentional technical or a flagrant technical because this was a contact situation during a dead ball.
I find your reference to the POI confusing. There is no POI unless a T is called.