View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 02, 2002, 12:27pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Post player A5 has ball in low block and spins around defender B5...A5 takes one dribble, then their legal step and goes up for a lay-in, which goes in...we have a whistle, foul called on B5, and rookie waves off shot and basket and calls B5 for a hand-check...gives A ball oob under the basket...

Afterward, I make the comment that it should NOT have been a handcheck call, but a push, and count the basket and give them one shot, or else call nothing at all...my point was that a handchecking call should never be made when the offensive player is going to beat the defender to the basket and have a legit shot attempt...let them take the shot, and if the contact causes problems, call it a push or hold...by calling handchecking, we are essentially saying the player was still a ballhandler and not shooting and we have put the offensive player at a disadvantage by not seeing the entire play...

Needless to say, there was some strong disagreement from some of the other "teachers"...am I way off base here?? Any gems I can take back to the group to help them see my point???
I am a little confused about where the foul occurred. If it was on the spin, I would probably call a "hold" and give them the ball oob. If it were on the shot, I wouldn't call a hand check (I probably wouldn't call a push either, but that's another thread) I would probably call a "hold" if B5 was beaten or "illegal use of hands (hack)" if fouled on the arm etc. while shooting.

Theoretically, I agree with what you are saying about the ball handler vs shooter and seeing the whole play. Usually, I will call a HC on a drive or move to the basket and generally outside the key.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019