View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 18, 2008, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That would be the case if the offenses didn't occur simultaneously.
That was what I struggled with - was this really a simultaneous situation. The rule says the infraction is penalized when it occurs but doesn't really define "occurs". Does it "occur" when it is discovered? Did it "occur" 10 minutes prior to game time when I checked and signed the book? In this case the visiting team was introduced and the scorer was instructed to change their error. Then 2 minutes later, the home team was introduced and the scorer was instructed to change their error. If they weren't ruled simultaneous, the technicals would have been enforced in the order they occured, which would have resulted in two shots for each team and then the visiting team getting the ball. I decided to treat the entire 10 minute pre-game time as the same point in time. I would have done the same thing if one error was discovered 7 minutes prior to game time and one was discovered during introductions. Your comment about the book really needing to be changed when they entered the game and since they were starters, that was simultaneous helps me resolve this issue in my mind. Thanks!

Now a different twist. Let's assume neither player was a starter. In this case the error wouldn't have been discovered until they entered the game, and provided they didn't enter the game at the same time, each technical would have resulted in two shots plus possession. In this case the exact same error would have been penalized differently. I guess it really does come down to when the error(s) are discovered.