View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 09:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Also another factor is your physicality as an official. The size, race, body type and gender can all play a role in how you are treated and how they react to you as an official. This is not something often talked about, but there is an underlining factor depending on who you are dealing with.

The bottom line we are in the people business and people react to different people for all kinds of different reasons. And what works for me might not work for you based on experience or reputation. The more you are seen the more coaches will respect you or show a lack of respect based on what you have done. This is why working games and getting experience is should really be your focus and you will learn how to talk to coaches better as time goes on.

Peace
This is all true to a certain extent. I am working two coaches tonight I've seen at least a half-dozen times each. I know the personalities and I know what to expect. I know that I've never had problems with either coach whereas others have. That means nothing -- tonight could be my night. I do know a close friend whacked the one coach Saturday for telling him to clean his glasses on an OOB call. And those two (coach/official) have a professional relationship and know each other quite well.

What's equally important, IMO, is how you come across to the coaches. I see newer officials rush to the table, avoid eye contact, and look nervous or scared when a coach talks to them. You should be able to look a coach in the eye and have a civilized conversation with them, even when he/she disagrees with you. It's when you ignore them or when you avert their eye contact or can't put an intelligent sentence together that they become sharks with you being food in the water.

That said, varsity coaches are, on a whole, more experienced and know how to deal with officials better. I filled in at the last minute in a JV game last season and I had to TCB early with two coaches that were used to running all over the officials. By the end of the game, we were all "buddies."

Last edited by Rich; Tue Dec 16, 2008 at 09:42am.