View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down T or not to T

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
JV girls. T was on the varsity coach, a guy with over 600 career wins and a couple state championships. Early second quarter, I'm trail as visitor breaks press and goes toward hoop. Drive is from my side so I'm staying with it. Player has ball knocked out of her hands then regains it under hoop. JV Head Coach and the varsity coach (an assistant coach in this game) both want a travel--I'm in front of the bench so they are making their comments to me. I say "she lost it; can't travel without the ball coach" and the varsity coach answers "yes you can." I know he knows better and then he says "Where are you supposed to be on that one? Get off the court if you can't keep up" and I gave him the T.

After the free throws I went back over to tell the JV coach he had to sit and that was the end of it.

Late in the game the varsity coach asked me something during a timeout so I think he got over being mad at me. Final was visitors by 2 in OT on a last-second shot.

Thoughts? Quick trigger? This is a coach I respect as much as anyone in the local basketball community. I coached against him several times and while we were always overmatched he was encouraging and positive about my team and how we had been improving. Probably the last guy I'd want to stick if I had a choice, but I felt like the comment crossed the line, especially when I knew he was just trying to get in my head with the travel thing.
So you gave a T to the Varsity coach during a JV game, then answered his questions during a time out? Varsity coach is bench personnel. Address JV coaches questions only, and advise him on his bench assistants before whacking them.