View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Another question for those who officiate FIBA

I officiated for a few years under NCAA rules. Under those rules, it specified that a player needed a minimum of 0.4 seconds to catch and shoot. Thus when the clock stopped with less than 0.4; we would only allow a tip. If the player caught the inbounds pass, we would automically disallow a shot.

Now our region uses FIBA rules which makes no mention in the rulebook about a minimum amount of time to catch and shoot. For those who use FIBA around the world, does anyone use the 0.4 as a guideline just the same? I have been; but it occured to me that a coach could argue that point stating that it is not covered in FIBA rules.

And finally, a related question. A team was involved in a game where they were up by three points with 0.6 seconds left in regulation. The opposing team inbounded the ball and the player took one dribble before launching a half court shot which went in. The officials counted the basket. According to those who were there (I wasn't), the horn went off only after the release of the shot. Obviously, the timekeeper was asleep at the wheel. Had you been refereeing this game, would you have waved off the basket even though the shot was released before the horn?