View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 09:48am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbRef View Post
Question about the penalty associated with player control (charge) and team control (illegal offensive screen) fouls. And also, are they reported against the player (5) and team foul (bonus, double bonus) count.

I'm a rookie ref who recently worked a JV game with an experienced ref who is coming back to bball after a 10 year hiatus.

At a recent game my partner called quite a few charges and illegal offensive screens. He called for free throws, which I administered. The coach was questioning my partner during the game.

The next day, and experienced ref who happened to be watching the game called me and said the penalty rule of player control and illegal offensive screens has changed, and foul shots should not have been taken.

Guidance?
In the first paragraph, you are correct. In each case, report the foul to the scorer's table: they each count towards the player's foul count, and the team's foul count. Note however that a 'charge' is different than a 'player control' foul, if using the definitions properly.

The 'experienced ref' you mention is correct. There are no foul shots due to the bonus situation for the illegal screens that were called, if that team had control of the ball. We call these team control fouls.