View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 09:34pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;557576
If theres anyone on here from Wisconsin, maybe you could help me out.

When I was younger (say 10-15 years ago), I remember at basketball games that teams would be announced, starting with the visitor and alternating with the home. V1 would get announced, go over and shake the opposing coach's hand, then stand at mid-court. Then H1 would get announced, shake V coach's hand, go to midcourt and shake V1's hand, then each would go near their free-throw line and wait for their teammates to go through the same procedure. However in recent memory I don't see that anymore. And actually, the WIAA (WI governing body) states on its website that all five V players should be announced first, then all 5 H players, with no seeking out for handshakes.

Anyway, just curious if it's only Wisconsin that has done this, or if it is part of the NFHS manuals.

aschramm:

Pre-game "ceremonies" are not mandated or defined by the NFHS. Having said that, in Ohio and Michigan the pre-game "ceremonies" vary from school to school. Some altenate, some announce the visiting players first followed by the home players.

BUT the prohibition of player shaking hand before the game is sheer nonsense and stupid thinking by the powers that be. Since high school sports is supposed to be part of the educational process, then this type of prohibition is just plain stupid.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio