View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the great feedback! I coached Little League long enough to develop a healthy respect for officiating crews. Human error is to be expected, but you guys do a difficult job.

My interpretations of (1) and (2) were correct. And the contact in (2) is not of the "shuffling in" variety. It is definitely step-step-contact. This is a big girl, and she can get some momentum going.

On (3), I was sitting high up in the stands, opposite the benches and along A's frontcourt. At the time of the pass, A1 was to the right and above the 3 point apex extended. There were two other offensive players to the right side, bunched near the low post. Left side low post player and her defender (Man defense) were at or below the block. When the intended recipient of the pass made her cut, her back was to the ball, and she dragged her defender.

The pass had some zip on it (overhead, like a soccer throw-in), and it hit in a pretty wide expanse of empty court. The low post player saw the pass, but was at least 3 strides from where the pass landed, much less the sideline. I don't think any player had a remote chance of making a play.

I felt bad for the bench player that got whistled for the T. I'm sure she felt like she lost the game for her team. The court layout gave very little room to maneuver.

In that situation, is there any way to avoid the violation? If a play is being made to save the ball and the bench player makes an attempt to get out of the way but still contacts the ball, is that okay?

Thanks again for the feedback!