View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am not saying it is ideal to work from one mechanics to another. I am saying that in football, there are not the drastic movements that would make it impossible to work with more officials. This is not a situation like basketball or baseball and you completely change the movements of the officials. Even the coverages do not really change that much, because it is good in football to have several eyes on a particular play. Now you have just added angles. That is why on a DPI you might have a certain official on certain calls because they have a much better angle. In those other sports I mentioned, all your responsibilities change when you add officials. Actually from what I understand your responsibilities in football with 6 and 7 officials decrease.

Peace
I agree 6 is better than 5 but if I'm asked to work a 6-man crew rather than 5, I don't know how my responsibilities change. I might key on a particular receiver if we have a 5-man crew but that may change on a 6-man crew. If I don't realize that (and neither does the deep wing), we could both be watching the same receiver and nobody is watching the receiver who is fouled. On a 5-man crew, I have the entire sideline and the goal line on almost every play. On a 6-man crew, I now know the deep wing has anything inside the 2 and I have to reverse mechanics on any COP. If I had not previously worked a 7-man crew in a college scrimmage I would not have known that. I still have a long way to go to learn the 7-man mechanics and I would hate to have my first experience with anything over 5 to be a state championship game. There are enough differences for many of the positions that something will get missed if you don't understand the mechanics.