View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref18 View Post
ajmc has the right idea. We go out there as a crew, and we need to make sure we have eachother's backs. We have to stick up for ourselves, and in most IW situations it's pretty evident who blew that whistle. In this one, it isn't. We succeed as a crew, we fail as a crew, we make mistakes as a crew.
Admirable point of view, and we all know that the only friends we all have out there are the other guys in the stripes, but it seems to me that a conspiracy of silence does more harm than good.

Quote:
When someone makes an amazingly good call, you don't go tell the coach which official made it so he can be praised.
Isn't it usually pretty obvious who makes calls? If it was obvious in this case who blew the IW, there wouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Why would you do the same when someone screws up. He has to make it up to the crew somehow,
What? "make it up to the crew?" What do you mean, do extra good on the next call? We try to do the best we can on every call, every play. You can't say, "Well, I was going to just go at 75% on the next play, guys, but because I kicked that one, I'm going to go 97, maybe 98, just for you, on the next one."

If a circumstance warrants that you "pick up" someone on the crew (by reminding them that it's 10 rather than 5 on that penalty enforcement or whatever), you do that regardless of whether you kicked one or they did. We don't do make up calls for teams, we don't have to do them for ourselves. We do the best we can on each and every play.

Quote:
but, you as the WH need to be responsible when the coach is involved. And selling out one of our own, one of the only 6 guys out there who will have your back when you **** up isn't the way to do it.
You see it as selling someone out. I see it as standing up and admitting it is the right thing to do. The honorable thing to do.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.