View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 24, 2002, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Re: All they have to do is ask.

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
While in my short "career" I have not personally seen this, I can't figure out why someone would do this. Do they think they are suddenly going to get better when they walk on the floor?
More likely, Larry, they think that they are already good enough to do the games. And they think that if they could just get a foot in the door, just get that one big game, then their talent would shine through and blind the assignor to the fact that they got the assignment deceitfully. Happens all the time in the business world.

Quote:
why not simply contact the assignor, tell them you have 3-person experience and then say "Obviously I would like to have an opportunity to work some post season games. When can we schedule an time for you to watch me work. It can be any level, at any location you have. I will work my schedule around yours as much as possible." If the assignor does not have time, then ask if there is an official whose opinion he values and respects that can evaluate you.
Larry, although it seems straight-forward and well-intentioned and professional, I would be worried that this approach would leave a poor impression with the assignor. Nobody wants to be seen as a self-promoter or a "gimme" guy. Plus if the assignor says he doesn't have time and you pursue it, you seem pushy and unable to "hear" what's being said.

Since I already mentioned the business world, imagine what would happen if you applied your approach to a job-hunting situation. "Hi, Mr. Jones. I'm a middle manager over at Company X and I'd be very interested in having a management position in your company. When can we set up a time for my interview?" It's not going to fly. And although the basketball world (certainly the HS basketball world) is not the business world, those of us who hope to progress to high levels often must treat it as if it were.

I am in a very similar situation right now. I went to camp and got good feedback from a D2 assignor. However, b/c of my location, he didn't ask me onto his staff. So after a couple weeks of trying to decide if I should pursue it and tell him I didn't mind the travel, I finally called him. He was unavailable and so I left a message. Now, a week later, he has not returned my call. Should I call him back and say, "Hey, I didn't hear back from you, so I wanted to make sure you know that I'm willing to travel to do your league"? I don't think I'll do that. There's a reason I didn't get called back. I'm not sure what it is, but there's a reason.

Similarly, I think once you approach the post-season assignor, if he says "no thanks", you have to leave it at that or risk getting a bad reputation.

Quote:
The person who said "all good things come to those who wait" was not trying to move up in officiating.
I agree that you should be pro-active. But I am always worried about being overly aggressive about it. In my case, being patient (and waiting) has been a good strategy. Maybe it doesn't work for everybody, and maybe I could've moved up even faster if I'd been more aggressive. But you have to remember that politics does play a part in climbing the ladder. If somebody thinks you're a jerk b/c you're too self-promoting, that will hurt you.

Now, all of what I've written has more to do with me than with you; b/c I don't know any of the assignors in your area. But I think in any officating circle, it's better to tread too lightly than too heavily on an assignor's toes.

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
OK...I am confused...how can the person assigning games NOT be aware of someone's experience level?? Isn't it part of their job to know that stuff???
Rocky, I agree that in general an assignor should roughly know every official's ability level and experience. But maybe in larger regions (or for statewide tournaments), assignments are made by people that do not normally assign a particular league's officials. Is that possible? Also in some areas, there is no central assignor. Officials contract directly with schools or AD's for games. In those cases, whoever assigns post-season games might not have had to see every official in a given area. I don't really have a good answer to that question.

Sorry this is such a long post!!

Chuck