Thread: Shin Splints
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 09:43am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I'm not a Dr., but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Excerpts from on-line article(s)

Shin splints, if that's what you have, can be caused by sudden increases in mileage, overuse, walking or running faster than normal, or just too much distance. They can be caused by excessive pronation or flat feet, and often by pounding from running, or sports like basketball. If you have medial shin splints and flat feet or excessive pronation, an orthotic device or over-the-counter arch support like Powerfeet or Spenco can sometimes be helpful. Make sure it's a full-length insert.

Lateral shin splints are usually due to overuse and inflammation in the front of the leg, along the outside front of your shin. People frequently get anterior shin splints from the repetition of flexing the muscle. For instance, on the treadmill, if you walk fast enough, and for long enough, or if you've suddenly increased the speed, or you're walking on an elevation, the muscle gets overworked and starts to cramp. It would be like doing hundreds of biceps curls until your arm started to cramp.

Treatment for shin splints includes rest, massage, ice, stretching, and strengthening. Rest and ice is sometimes the best treatment. You should also be stretching your calves and Achilles tendon. If you have the problem during running or walking, try warming up more and don't increase the speed too quickly. You can also try varying the speed and elevation of the treadmill if you use one instead of keeping it the same.

Also, make sure your shoes are sturdy and give you lots of support, particularly in the arch. If your shins hurt, you should gently massage them and then ice them after you work out.

BOTTOM LINE: When I've had them they were from a sudden ramp up of exercise/mileage on hard surfaces. Rest is best if you can get it, and check into more padding or new shoes.