View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Scott,

Thanx for your [and other's] inputs. Since these were hypothetical situations, many of which we might actually see in games we've done or will do, it's nice to get some different points of view.

And since the pitcher's reaction wasn't fully described and it might have been a "had to be there" to judge situation, I'm not so sure I'd be advocating an ejection for those actions. A lot of things could come in to play here. I described no verbal outburst, or any projected ill will to the umpire. Could be the pitcher was struggling and frustrated with her performance to that point. I've seen players kick their gloves after booting a ground ball or cuss after dropping a popup. I don't view those as ejectionable [a word?] actions. And I'm pretty sure a coach would not be happy in such a situation, either. And, yes, I know...it's not our job to make a coach happy. I've been player, coach, league official, and now umpire, so I have the view from several perspectives.

Most of the games I do are in leagues where I'll see the players week after week. As umpires, we tend to know the players with a short fuse, or the baiters, or the whiners. And the players get to know the umpires. There've been a couple of times I worked a game with a partner who seems to show up to the game angry and with a need to be in full control. Sometimes, bringing the teams in from BP or infield practice results in some angry words. I'm embarassed for his actions and I certainly don't model my game management after his.

So when I arrive at a game, especially with teams I've worked with a lot, I'm hoping they're thinking that they're glad I'm there because of how I call a game and how I treat them. Yeah, sometimes it might get a little heated, but with me, it's never personal. I don't hold a grudge, I don't do make-up calls, and I try to make each call to the best of my ability. I've blown a few calls along the way, but I also occasionally hear after a game "good call blue, you got it right even if we did give you a ration of **** about it during the game."

Ted