View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Uniform Question

This is my first post as I am a new member. If you all have discussed this before just show me the thread.

Last night I was calling a Boys Varsity Game. In the Girls JV game that was played before a fellow official made a ruling that has me confused as I can't find anything about it in the nfhs books. A girl on the visiting team (blue Jerseys) has on one short sock and one knee length Blue sock. About midway through the second quarter the official sees this and stops play and makes the player leave the game to change the sock. My partner and I spoke about it briefly stating that we were not sure what to do. We came to the conclusion that since the sock has nothing to do with the play of the game, or any player's safety during the game then we do nothing. Espically since it was midway through the second quarter of play and the girl was a starter. I feel that if this is to be caught then it must be caught in pregame warmups. I looked in the books and haven't been able to find anything dealing with players socks. Personally I think that it looks stupid but has no effect on the game so if the player wants to look like an idiot the so be it, he's not hurting anyone by wearing one sock long and one short. The official who made the call told the coach that he was making the player remove the sock because it was "decorative". What do you guys and gals think?