View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I don't have any case to back it up but I would not give a substitute free throw. Once a time out is called, the ball becomes dead with the whistle thus the free throw has ended. After the timeout, the free throw is administered and the ball is made live again. I don't believe violations would carry over.

Just my opinion though. Great question

-Josh
Although there are some specific rules that permit taking a time out to "buy" a player back into the game (for blood or injury), the granting of a time out never uncalls any violation or foul nor does it ever cancel any penalty.

I have occasionally seen posts here that tried to say that if the defense violates on a free throw it's not a violation unless the shot is missed. That is absolutely not true. When B1 stepped into the lane, he violated. The penalty for that violation includes waiting to see if the free thrower makes the shot. If he does, "the violation is disregarded" (NFHS 9-1 Penalties 2-a)

There's nothing about granting a time out that undoes B1's violation, nor does it set aside the penalty. It merely delays the enforcement of the penalty for 30 or 60 seconds.