View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitEmCold View Post
I have been reading this forum and it helps me, as a coach, see the game the way an official does. I do have a question related to this topic, How should a coach handle a situation when an official makes a call and gives an explanation, but is wrong on the ruling? What is appropriate during the game? After the game? Should the official be made aware of the rule?

Curious to see what yall think.
If you believe that the officials aere getting a rule wrong, you need to let them know that. If I was coaching, I would tell them nicely that I think they are getting the rule wrong. I would then ask the supervisor of officials after the game about it. By telling the officials they got the rule wrong, you give them the opportunity to get together and fix it. By going to the supervisor after the game if you still believe they are wrong, you get conformation that they are correct, or the officials will be penalized for not getting it right. Most importantly, if the officials did get the rule wrong, and did not get it fixed when you pointed it out, they'll never forget it or get it wrong again the the future. That's in everyone's best interest.

None of this needs to be heated. It happens.