View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 15, 2002, 09:36am
Administrator

Yesterday I received my October issue of Referee and immediately went to the basketball section. Here is Question 2 in the Test Yourself section (word enclosed in bracket ([]) are mine):

B1 rebounds a missed try by Team A with time winding down in the period. B1 throws
the ball from Team B’s backcourt toward their [his team’s] goal. The ball bounces [on
the floor] at the freethrow line and bounds toward the basket [Team B’s goal]. As the
ball is in the air after bouncing at the freethrow line, the horn sounds [signaling the end of
playing time] and the ball goes in the basket. Does the goal count? If so, how many
points are awarded?

a. The goal does count.
b. The goal does not count.
c. Two points are awarded.
d. Three points are awarded.

Referee’s answer for the play was a and b for both NFHS and NCAA Men’s and Women’s. The following Rules, Casebook Plays , Approved Rulings were cited:

NFHS: Rules: R5-S2-A1 Casebook: R5.1.1.
NCAA: Rules: R5-S1-A1, A.R. 1

Have I gone senile and therefore missed something about this play. b is the only correct answer for this play. I cite the following Rules, Casebook Plays, and Approved Rulings govern the play:

NFHS: Rules: R4-S40-A4 Casebook: R5.1.1(a)
NCAA: Rules: R4-S60-A3; R4-S65-A3; and
R5-S1-A1, A.R. 1(a)

This is an old play that can be found in many old NFHS and IAABO rules examinations. Please help a senile old geezer out guys and gals.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio