Thread: Pregame Dunks
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
Player B12 is dressed and warming up with the team B, dunks the ball at the 12 minute mark, and is noticed by the officials.
Player B12 is suspended from participation in this contest for an ejection in the previous game and is therfore not elegible to participate in this contest?

or

Player A11 plays for the JV and Varsity. Is dressed and warming up A11 dunks the ball at the 12 minute mark, and is noticed by the officials.
At the 11 minute mark the JV coach informs the Varsity coach that A11 played too many quarters per state rules and is inelegible to participate in this contest?
My comment was aimed at what it means to us to determine eligibility. And I'm not arguing against asdf's suggestion, which is the most rational way to handle this that I recall being discussed.

When wrangling over the definition of team member, how do the rules define "eligible to become a player"? They don't. IMO, the only rules-based context we have for judging whether a kid in uniform is eligible to become a player is whether or not he is listed on the roster. If he's listed, he's eligible to become a player. If he's not listed, he's not. But if he's then added to the roster at the cost of a team T, he's now eligible.

The scenarios you propose all involve determinations of eligibility that are external to the rules of the game. We have no part in enforcing those. If external eligibility rules are violated, the enforcement also comes externally.