Thread: new shoes
View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

All of you need to go to a running store and get your foot evaluated as to what type of shoe you need. I say running shoe store because these are the only stores I'm aware of where the sales people actually know more than where the shoes are located in the back.

Many of you have foot problems because your shoe is all wrong. When we were all 23, the shoe choice didn't matter a great deal. When you get older, it does. This doesn't mean necessarily you need a running shoe, but if you don't know what you need, you are shooting in the dark on any shoe.

brooksrunning.com is a good website to learn the different types of foot. They have a shoe evaluator there, though, they don't help much in terms of basketball because only a few of their choices are in black. However, you'll get a good idea where you stand (pardon the pun).

First, your pronation factor: most people over-pronate. That means their foot rolls inward as they walk. It may range from slight to moderate to heavy. These people need a stability shoe to keep the foot from rolling inward too much. They also don't need much cushioning because the way the foot rolls in. Most cross training type shoes work fine for these folks since cushioning isn't an issue. I am an under-pronator or supinator. My foot actually rolls out, but I am in the vast minority. Those who's foot doesn't do much of anything, in or out, are called neutral runners. Like me, neutral runners need good support. Cross trainers are usually bad for these folks since there is too little cushioning. I have gone to neutral cushioning running shoes for basketball and if your foot is similar to mine, I highly recommend you do as well. I wear one of the black Saucony shoes and it works well. I'm hoping Brooks will make their neutral shoe in black soon.

Second, evaluate your arch. Many think over-pronators all have flat feet and neutral runners have high arches. This MAY be true -- for me it is as you can drive a truck under my arch. But there are those with moderate arches that need stability shoes. Here's where you may have to get insoles for whatever shoes you end up with. If you are neutral or supinate, arch support is more for comfort than for anything else. If you have any over pronation, you need good arch support unless you are flat footed.

Finally, the myth that you need strong leather for lateral support is bunk. Unless you have gimpy ankles, running shoes provide all the support you need. If you aren't sure, just wear the neoprene ankle wraps like I do -- I wear them for Achilles tendinitis. I've been wearing running shoes for all games for the last 2 years. I've had no more ankle issues than I did before that.

Anyway, at least go to the brooks site or better, get your foot evaluated before you buy any more shoes. Like I said, for many of you guys, the standard offerings at Honigs and elsewhere work fine, but if you've had trouble with them in the past, this is probably the reason why.