View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 30, 2008, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Bison, per the Fed Mechanics manual, the BJ is responsible for watching initial blocks against the kicker and holder (if present). My thought on this play especially is that somebody has to pick it up, the action the offender before the kick is too conspicuous to not take a look at him.
Agreed. I just wonder if the BJ was able to pick up the way the offender was running to the line if he's focused on the kicker's line watching for encroachment. Since the offender hit the kicker so soon after the kick, I also wonder if the other players on K shielded the BJ at all. His first look at the kicker might have been him lying on the ground and wondering how he got there. The HL or LJ (or maybe even the R from down field) may have a better look at it. I agree someone has to get this for at least 15 and consider the ejection option which has been discussed to death. With the benefit of being able to watch the video several times, I guess I would lean toward ejection. It's the intent of the receiving team that bothers me the most.

Another thing to factor in here also is whether the kicker made attempts during previous kickoffs to cover the kick downfield. If he never did, then there is no reason for R to even block him. If he did kick off and then participate, then at least R could say they were taking out a potential tackler. That could factor into my decision if I saw this live.