View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Question infeild fly, call/no call

Youngumps post (2 mistakes) got me remembering about a discussion this past summer at a tournament. We were in a long rain delay so the UIC thought it would be a good idea if we had a question and answer session.
The group was a mixture of young and senor umps. One of the younger gals asked about, and described a very similar IF sit where she froze and nothing got verbalized. The ball fell in between F3 & F1 as they both called for it, then stepped back. Everyone advanced safely in the confusion, including the batter. Her question was "Does a non verbal IF call still get the out if everybody advances safely?" The general census was yes until the UIC spoke.
He said he was working at the ISC Worlds when this happened and the out was called after the fact. Offense protested after a long discussion and the call got reversed by the powers that be at these tourns.
The apparent reasoning or ruling was, " The infeild fly rule is in place to protect the offense runners. If everybody advances safely after a non call there is no more reason to protect the offense" I probably have the wording $crewed up but that was then general words used.
I've talked to a few UIC (CASA rule set) since and they disagree. They say a rule is a rule is a rule, to which I agree.
Any thoughts or comments?
RD